• Last update: Jul 25, 2014 - 6:52
  • Videos: 1

ReportMarshall StokesMarshall Stokes

• Location: Carson City, Nevada, United States of America
  • Label: uvumi is my label.

I started playing guitar in the mid '90s, learning what I could from my friends who were fortunate enough to take weekly lessons, and augmenting that with tabs to my favorite Zeppelin and Tom Petty songs. As I struggled through my teens, playing music was my primary source of artistic release, and I loved every minute of it. I even found that I enjoyed the brutal frustration that many musicians suffer through in the beginning, despite the fact that I nearly gave it up altogether many times during the first two years.

My other passions have always been computers, networks, interwebs, and the blinking lights and colored cables associated with those things. I am a geek.

I first combined these interests in the late '90s, formulating a plan to create a website that would enable amateur musicians to put their recorded music online and share it with the world. It was essentially a self-promotion tool. Unfortunately, I did not yet possess the technical knowledge and experience to bring such an idea to fruition at that time. The project was shelved before it even got halfway through the planning phase.

Years passed, and I found myself running a small web dev and consulting company with my wife and one employee. In late 2007 we teamed up with a couple of long-time friends and decided to take the biggest risk of our lives. We revisited my college-era idea of a website for musicians, and started drawing up a plan. We envisioned a website that prioritized freedom and openness for musicians and artists, and we designed a custom web platform that eliminated the most glaring shortcoming of all major music-related websites: The lack of a seamless music player. Why should you have to stay on one page to hear the music you want to hear? Why do so many sites insist on controlling your experience and limiting what you can do online? Why not provide freedom to music fans, especially considering that the technology is well within reach.

We created Uvumi.com with these concepts in mind. Everyone on the team is an artist of some sort, and we all strongly believe that the future of the music industry involves freedom of expression, freedom of art consumption, and massive self-promotion.

Uvumi is a Swahili word that means rumor, buzz, murmur, or hum. We thought that fit nicely with the DIY theme we are embracing.

CREATE YOUR ART, UNLEASH YOUR BEAUTY, SHARE YOUR WORK!

• Networking Networking
    (1 comment)
  • fender hotrod deville guitar amp fender hotrod devill...
    (2 comments)
  • suits suits
    (2 comments)
  • tip bucket bw tip bucket bw

• Vlad Morden's picture
    Categorizing a song
    Left by Vlad Morden, on Aug 7, 2010 - 12:29
    Hi Marshall,

A few of my songs have been placed under "uncategorized" and I can't find where to categorize them, only how to tag them. Could you please let me know where I can do this?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!!
  • I am in town till Sun morning...
    Left by Felecia Ford, on Aug 6, 2010 - 10:05
    Hi Marshall. This is Felecia Ford from Hundred Year Flood. You featured our video, "Sunshine" not too long ago. I am in town and if you are going anywhere tonight I would love to say hello and shake your hand! Take care and thanks for all you do to promote great music. xo
  • Left by sunslide, on Aug 2, 2010 - 1:09
    I just want to add how much this site has done for me
    Bravo Marshall. I don't always get a chance to listen to everything
    people put up - but there's much talent here - it's like a corner shop
    and I can smell great coffee !!
  • Josiah Barlow's picture
    Hey!
    Left by Josiah Barlow, on Jul 26, 2010 - 8:30
    Marshall, GREAT site, very well thought out and much more smoothly operating than most that I see out there! Keep up the great work!!
    • Left by Marshall Stokes, on Jul 26, 2010 - 20:11
      Thanks Josiah, I really appreciate the compliment! We put a lot of work into this project (like, A LOT), and it makes it all worthwhile when people like you come in and support our efforts! Please keep up with the Team Uvumi Blog and send us emails if you have any feedback!
        Left by Unregistered User, on Aug 16, 2010 - 13:17
        Josiah's profile picture and yours look mighty similar! It kind of looks like you took his and put some kind of awesomeness filter over it.

Glad to be a part of your site. Nice work!
  • hello marshall im new
    Left by stuart mckenzie, on Jul 21, 2010 - 9:07
    just want to say what a brilliant site & for giving me the chance to get my music out there
    Time to take the shrink wrap off Behind that wall & see what happens.
    love
    stuart mckenzie is Behind that wall
    • Left by Marshall Stokes, on Jul 21, 2010 - 11:08
      Hey Stuart thanks for joining! We have lots of great plans for the future, so I hope you'll stick around and see what we come up with! Be sure to keep an eye on the Team Uvumi Blog for updates and announcements.
    Left by Unregistered User, on Jul 21, 2010 - 3:07
    Hey there Marshall, thanks, I really appreciate you putting me on the front page. You're doing a great job on the website! All the best, John
  • geronimodeleon's picture
    In color!
    Left by geronimodeleon, on Jul 18, 2010 - 17:30
    Nice change with the new profile pic : )
    Hope all's well with you and yours!
    Thanks for the hard work!
    • Left by Marshall Stokes, on Jul 21, 2010 - 11:07
      Thanks! We're hoping to have another update released in early August... sorry it's been so slow!
    Left by Unregistered User, on Jul 10, 2010 - 0:08
    Hey :)

What a wonderful site this is. Really looking forward to see if I'll managane to get some exposure here ;)
  • Left by Craigmire, on Jul 9, 2010 - 3:30
    hey man, im super thrilled you like Pharmies! :D just wondering what the process is to be featured, thank you!
    • Left by Marshall Stokes, on Jul 9, 2010 - 18:37
      I'm slowly working my way through all the artists on Uvumi. Eventually, I would like everyone to have some time on the front page. Don't worry, you're on the list for future artist features!

Also, I do like the Pharmies, I'm hoping to get my hands on a CD somehow...
      • Left by Craigmire, on Jul 9, 2010 - 23:50
        hey right on Marshall, thanks for the input! yeah i was just wondering how the system works. i just feel cool being able to share my music here! welp..if you wanna email me an address we can send a Pharmies cd to ya. ccollver1@hotmail.com
    Killbot Kindergarten
    Left by Unregistered User, on Jun 17, 2010 - 21:51
    Thanks so much for featuring us! Awesome!!!!

This site rocks.