• Last update: Jul 25, 2014 - 6:52
  • Videos: 1

ReportMarshall StokesMarshall Stokes

• Location: Carson City, Nevada, United States of America
  • Label: uvumi is my label.

I started playing guitar in the mid '90s, learning what I could from my friends who were fortunate enough to take weekly lessons, and augmenting that with tabs to my favorite Zeppelin and Tom Petty songs. As I struggled through my teens, playing music was my primary source of artistic release, and I loved every minute of it. I even found that I enjoyed the brutal frustration that many musicians suffer through in the beginning, despite the fact that I nearly gave it up altogether many times during the first two years.

My other passions have always been computers, networks, interwebs, and the blinking lights and colored cables associated with those things. I am a geek.

I first combined these interests in the late '90s, formulating a plan to create a website that would enable amateur musicians to put their recorded music online and share it with the world. It was essentially a self-promotion tool. Unfortunately, I did not yet possess the technical knowledge and experience to bring such an idea to fruition at that time. The project was shelved before it even got halfway through the planning phase.

Years passed, and I found myself running a small web dev and consulting company with my wife and one employee. In late 2007 we teamed up with a couple of long-time friends and decided to take the biggest risk of our lives. We revisited my college-era idea of a website for musicians, and started drawing up a plan. We envisioned a website that prioritized freedom and openness for musicians and artists, and we designed a custom web platform that eliminated the most glaring shortcoming of all major music-related websites: The lack of a seamless music player. Why should you have to stay on one page to hear the music you want to hear? Why do so many sites insist on controlling your experience and limiting what you can do online? Why not provide freedom to music fans, especially considering that the technology is well within reach.

We created Uvumi.com with these concepts in mind. Everyone on the team is an artist of some sort, and we all strongly believe that the future of the music industry involves freedom of expression, freedom of art consumption, and massive self-promotion.

Uvumi is a Swahili word that means rumor, buzz, murmur, or hum. We thought that fit nicely with the DIY theme we are embracing.

CREATE YOUR ART, UNLEASH YOUR BEAUTY, SHARE YOUR WORK!

• Jimmy + Tolly Jimmy + Tolly
  • clam beach creek clam beach creek
  • server guts server guts
  • dog straight on dog straight on

• Thanks Guys for giving we newbies the thumbs up!
    Left by Plezhurhouse, on Oct 13, 2010 - 10:17
    Thanks Marshall for Uvumi-it was inevitable that the industry had to change and those who marched to a different drum would hear the calling. Wishing you much continued success and thanks for allowing us to express our art amongst such good company!
  • Left by Lee Rogers, on Oct 4, 2010 - 13:27
    Just uploaded a new track 'Breathe', hope you enjoy it! Thanks for listening!!

www.leerogersmusic.com
  • jackt60's picture
    New Stuff?
    Left by jackt60, on Sep 26, 2010 - 5:48
    Marshall -- not sure how to find recently posted songs by bands? Is there a way to listen to songs by date? T61 had a "recently posted" tab each day so the listener could peruse the latest stuff (not that I listen there anymore).

Keep the music humming -- Cheers, Jack
    • Left by Marshall Stokes, on Sep 27, 2010 - 7:24
      If you go to the Browse Songs page, you will see all songs on Uvumi sorted by date, so the most recent appear first. You can then sort by any of the columns in the table. Enjoy!
  • pablotee's picture
    cheers from the north
    Left by pablotee, on Sep 20, 2010 - 2:58
    hi from vancouver and the rockies ~
    still hanging in !
  • Hey!
    Left by Jonathan Graham, on Sep 15, 2010 - 13:17
    Great Site Marshall!

we are Very pleased to be added it the list of talent you have here......please tell me how do we go about being one of the featured artists on here. we have a slightly heavier sound than most of the featured dudes, however if you fancy giving a break to some London based oddballs we sure would appreciate it.

Regards
    The Unnamed Faces
    • Left by Marshall Stokes, on Sep 15, 2010 - 18:53
      We don't discriminate with the featured artists, it's simply a matter of time before your band ends up on the front page for a few days :)

Thanks for joining, I'm enjoying the songs!
  • Pataglu's picture
    Thanks !
    Left by Pataglu, on Sep 12, 2010 - 7:05
  • address
    Left by Pharmies, on Sep 11, 2010 - 19:55
    hey we wanted to send you some cds and a t shirt as a gift from Pharmies and Cashiz Raye! .. We never got your address.. email it to chrishoyt1980@yahoo.com :) what size T shirt ?
  • Nrthstr's picture
    Thanks
    Left by Nrthstr, on Sep 2, 2010 - 5:21
    Great website, thanks very much!!
  • welcom
    Left by realitim, on Aug 20, 2010 - 8:18
    @ audiophilia.
  • pete travers's picture
    well done uvumi
    Left by pete travers, on Aug 9, 2010 - 2:24
    i am very appreciative of you and your team in setting up this site,it amazes me that you had the potential to do this as as youve said it wasnt the easiest thing to do.it is due to your hard work that i can distribute my music,i congratulate you keep up the good work.
    softspace............"pete"
    • Left by Marshall Stokes, on Aug 9, 2010 - 12:14
      Thank you Pete, your compliment is sincerely appreciated :) We're working through a bit of a rut right now, getting this project to at least pay for itself has proven to be a greater challenge than we expected. Things are going to remain quiet around here (in terms of new features and site upgrades) for the next few weeks, but we have some Big Things in the works to be released before too long!
  • «  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ... 21  »