• Last update: Oct 26, 2017 - 0:54
  • Videos: 1

ReportMarshall StokesMarshall Stokes

• Location: Carson City, Nevada, United States of America
  • Label: uvumi is my label.

I started playing guitar in the mid '90s, learning what I could from my friends who were fortunate enough to take weekly lessons, and augmenting that with tabs to my favorite Zeppelin and Tom Petty songs. As I struggled through my teens, playing music was my primary source of artistic release, and I loved every minute of it. I even found that I enjoyed the brutal frustration that many musicians suffer through in the beginning, despite the fact that I nearly gave it up altogether many times during the first two years.

My other passions have always been computers, networks, interwebs, and the blinking lights and colored cables associated with those things. I am a geek.

I first combined these interests in the late '90s, formulating a plan to create a website that would enable amateur musicians to put their recorded music online and share it with the world. It was essentially a self-promotion tool. Unfortunately, I did not yet possess the technical knowledge and experience to bring such an idea to fruition at that time. The project was shelved before it even got halfway through the planning phase.

Years passed, and I found myself running a small web dev and consulting company with my wife and one employee. In late 2007 we teamed up with a couple of long-time friends and decided to take the biggest risk of our lives. We revisited my college-era idea of a website for musicians, and started drawing up a plan. We envisioned a website that prioritized freedom and openness for musicians and artists, and we designed a custom web platform that eliminated the most glaring shortcoming of all major music-related websites: The lack of a seamless music player. Why should you have to stay on one page to hear the music you want to hear? Why do so many sites insist on controlling your experience and limiting what you can do online? Why not provide freedom to music fans, especially considering that the technology is well within reach.

We created Uvumi.com with these concepts in mind. Everyone on the team is an artist of some sort, and we all strongly believe that the future of the music industry involves freedom of expression, freedom of art consumption, and massive self-promotion.

Uvumi is a Swahili word that means rumor, buzz, murmur, or hum. We thought that fit nicely with the DIY theme we are embracing.

CREATE YOUR ART, UNLEASH YOUR BEAUTY, SHARE YOUR WORK!

• Uvumi Uvumi
    (5 comments)
  • mt bonnell 20091220 10 mt bonnell 20091220 ...
  • epihpone les paul epihpone les paul
  • marshall michele uvumi marshall michele uvu...
    (3 comments)

You must be Marshall Stokes's friend to leave a comment. If you are a friend of Marshall Stokes, please login.

• Neme_pro's picture
    Left by Neme_pro, on Mar 13, 2011 - 9:50
    Marshall Check out Team Prolific -Getting Down (Music Video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&;v=VJeLZT1LQCI
    • Left by Marshall Stokes, on Mar 17, 2011 - 11:44
      Here let me help with that link:

Love your work, keep it up and keep us posted on any news or releases from Team Prolific!
  • Michael Joy's picture
    thank you!
    Left by Michael Joy, on Mar 5, 2011 - 8:19
    Marshall for all the 61 refugees you gave shelter and I appreciate much your work here!
  • New Track From Me
    Left by L.I.O.N., on Mar 1, 2011 - 19:15
    • Left by Marshall Stokes, on Mar 2, 2011 - 16:12
      mmmmmMM! That is *smooth* my friend, thanks for sharing :) Keep up the good work, you know I'm rootin' for ya!
  • Howdy
    Left by Craigmire, on Feb 11, 2011 - 21:20
    Hey Marshall. I still cant play any music. I have deleted all my internet history including cache, and I have scanned. I can't tell if it's my computer or if my account is hacked, er somethin heh...It worked fine a few months ago. But my main prob is, it also wont let me upload anymore music. It says I'm not allowed to upload music that is not mine. But I just made it lol! Let me know if you have any ideas. I'm not stessin, just wondering. Thanks man!
    • Left by Marshall Stokes, on Feb 11, 2011 - 21:28
      Sounds like a flash plugin issue on your computer, since the music streaming and the song upload tool are the only parts of Uvumi that require flash to work properly. I presume this issue is only on your computer? Do other flash websites work? (you can try this, but it probably is fine: http://ce.uwex.edu/techsupport/flashtest.aspx )

You might try removing flash plugin from your computer, then reinstalling it. Oh also, any chance you're running Chrome beta? If so, please try streaming/uploading in Firefox or some other browser and let me know how that goes... if you still can't get it to work, you can email support@uvumi.com and we'll dig a little deeper :)
      • Left by Craigmire, on Feb 13, 2011 - 17:15
        Hey thank you meh man. I appreciate your input. Im using firefox, but i think i might actually have to re-install firefox, or maybe even windows. I'll try and upload on my other computer and i bet it would work...my other comp is just soooooo slooooowwww lol :)
        Thanks again Marshall! you da man.
    WOW!
    Left by Unregistered User, on Jan 30, 2011 - 10:32
    Marshall! I'm sorry to say that I don't think I've ever checked out your site before today. Dude, this is AMAZING! You have done an incredible thing! I am now a member and have a little profile going. I'll have to post some stuff I've written, but I'm out of time for now.

So, I'm looking for a replacement web designer again for my company web site. I've been using a guy on the east coast for about 18 months and he is slow, hard to communicate with, and makes mistakes. It's time to move on. I'm looking for someone that has good MySQL/PHP skills as a baseline. I need to upgrade/modify much of what's in place and I'm already behind since my previous guy is so slow.

I know you're slammed, but I'm wondering if you have any recommendations on someone that can do this stuff for me. Anyone come to mind?

Thanks and again, GREAT WORK on the site!
  • richie_d's picture
    Cheers
    Left by richie_d, on Dec 9, 2010 - 7:23
    Thanks for creating this. A lot easier to navigate than other music sites, and a great way to bring undiscovered bands to the spotlight.

Un saludo!
  • hey bro
    Left by Gabriel, on Nov 23, 2010 - 4:36
    whats up im trying to get famous! lets do this! <33333333333333333333333333333333333333
  • James Black's picture
    Hello
    Left by James Black, on Nov 22, 2010 - 13:36
    Marshall et al. Thanks for creating a really good site.
    Is there an easy Facebook link on here? Would be nice to highlight certain songs and raise Uvumi's profile too.
    Take it easy.
    • thanks!
      Left by Marshall Stokes, on Nov 22, 2010 - 15:23
      Hey James, thanks for the support :) Right now we don't have any Facebook integration, but we have big plans for Spring of 2011, including a facebook app and a few other exciting things. Check up on the Team Uvumi Blog, our facebook page (don't have the link handy, but you can easily search us out), or our twitter feed to be notified of news and updates regarding Uvumi development.

Thanks for joining!
  • Hey Hey
    Left by Unregistered User, on Oct 19, 2010 - 19:28
    I know, I'm never on here, just so busy. You have been so informative about my past album. What do you think about the recent music video and preview track? Its all on my pro, hope you been well.
    • Left by Marshall Stokes, on Oct 26, 2010 - 7:07
      Hey! Great work, I think the production quality is excellent and you're really nailing that dance/electronic/pop sound perfectly :) Cool video, too, not sure how I missed that one when you posted it a while back, but thanks for mentioning it so I could check it out! Keep up the good work, Uvumi loves you!
  • Thanks Guys for giving we newbies the thumbs up!
    Left by Plezhurhouse, on Oct 13, 2010 - 10:17
    Thanks Marshall for Uvumi-it was inevitable that the industry had to change and those who marched to a different drum would hear the calling. Wishing you much continued success and thanks for allowing us to express our art amongst such good company!
  • «  1  2  3  4  5  6  ... 21  »